Saturday 8 June 2013

[Pak Youth] Story of the Day

I once tried to give some food to a homeless man in NYC who politely refused. The man said thanks, but didn't take it and continued to ask passers-by for money. I immediately started to wonder to myself why a homeless person wouldn't want free food. Was he really not homeless? Was he doing drugs? My assumptions all lead me to judge him in the worst ways, and simultaneously fed my ego a high dosage of condescension. After a minute I wondered why those answers were the first to pop into my head and then realized the only person who could answer why he didn't take the food was him. So I asked him. 

When I asked him why he didn't want the food, he said that he has no place to keep it. He had four sandwiches in a plastic bag that would stay good for a couple of days and taking more food right now would just be excess. Why would he take something knowing that he might not be able to eat it? Then it would just go to waste. He then asked God to bless me and I, in turn, asked God to bless him for teaching me to not assume. 

#LateNightReflection 

-- Imam Khalid Latif

-- 
Nadeem Ul Hassan
Sent with Sparrow

--
-
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pak Youth" group.
To post to this group, send email to pak-youth@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to pak-youth+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/pak-youth?hl=en.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pak Youth" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pak-youth+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to pak-youth@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/pak-youth?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment